One thing you may not know about me is that I have a great fondness for food nostalgia and vintage cookbooks. I like to attempt now and then to give a vegan makeover to a classic recipe from my childhood.
I chose one of my very favorite cookies my mom used to make. Whenever we saw that Tupperware canister on the counter, we knew what we would find inside. And they always went too fast.
I substituted Earth Balance dairy-free products and flax eggs. I bumped up the health value by just a little bit, substituting whole wheat pastry flour and Sucanat for the sugar. The result is a tender, crisp little cookie cake topped with sweet orange frosting. I actually like them better than the original. Don’t tell Mom 🙂
Carrot Cookies with Orange Icing
adapted from The Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library 1971
1/2 cup dairy-free buttery stick, softened
1/2 cup vegan shortening
3/4 cup Sucanat ( or sugar)
*2 flax eggs (other other egg substitute)
1 cup mashed cooked carrots
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, depending on whether the butter substitute contains salt
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Orange icing (recipe below)
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
*If using flax eggs, whisk together 2 tablespoons ground flax meal and 6 tablespoons water. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes while preparing remaining ingredients. This will create an egg-like consistency.
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream together the shortening, butter substitute and sugar until smooth. Add egg substitute then carrots and stir until well blended.
3. Stir in flour mixture then fold in coconut.
4. Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 10-12 minutes or until no imprint remains when touched lightly. Immediately remove from baking sheet to cool. Frost with orange icing. 4 dozen cookies.
3 tablespoons soft butter substitute (such as Earth Balance)
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
Blend butter and sugar. Stir in orange peel and juice. Beat until smooth.