Here is a basic vanilla cake recipe that is as suitable for a dressed-down potluck as for a formal wedding.
recipe courtesy Chloe Coscarelli
3 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 ¾ cups Soy milk
1 cup Canola oil
¼ cup Apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. Vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 9-inch cake pans lightly and line bottoms with parchment.:
2. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk together wet ingredients and add to dry, mixing with a spoon just until well-blended.
Bake 20-25 minutes, until pick inserted in center comes out clean with just a few crumbs adhering. Invert and cool completely on wire rack.
Recipe courtesy Isa Chandra Moscowitz
½ cup Vegetable Shortening
½ cup Earth Balance Non-Dairy Margarine
3 ½ cups Confectioners Sugar
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
¼ cup Soy milk
1. Beat fats together in stand mixer. Add sugar and beat 3 minutes.
2. Add soy milk and vanilla and beat 5-7 minutes until fluffy.