Vegan Apple Crisp

IMG_3343.jpg

I remember when I first became aware there was such a thing called apple crisp. And it wasn’t at home. It was in my elementary school lunchroom. This exotic dessert was warm and sweet and cinnamon-y, with this outrageously crispy topping…so way over and above apple pie. It made an impact on me!

I am sure the recipe originated in somebody’s grandma’s kitchen. Most warm apple desserts do 😉 But, I was ever after held captive by that crispy sweet crust of oats and pecans and brown sugar atop those sweet-tart warm apples.

I hope you enjoy this version, from America’s Test Kitchen, slightly modified by the substitution of vegan margarine for the butter called for in the original recipe:

Apple Crisp

Topping:

¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup pecans, chopped fine
¾ cup oats, rolled
½ cup brown sugar, light
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. Earth Balance, non-dairy baking stick, melted and cooled

Filling:
1 ½ cups apple cider
1 tbsp. lemon juice
4 pounds apples, golden delicious, peeled, cored, halved and cut into 1/2 inch-thick wedges
⅓ cup sugar
¼ tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. Earth Balance, non-dairy baking stick
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit . Set oven rack in middle position. Mix together topping with margarine until moistened and crumbly.

IMG_4590
2.Bring cider to simmer in 12-inch skillet over medium heat and cook until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 7 minutes. Transfer to liquid measuring cup and stir in lemon juice.

IMG_4594.jpg
3.Toss apples with sugar and cinnamon in bowl. Melt butter in now-empty skillet over medium heat. Add apples and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften and become translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. (do not fully cook apples). Off heat, gently stir in cider mixture.

IMG_4598.jpg

4.Transfer apple mixture to 13 x 9 inch casserole dish (or individual dishes as shown), sprinkle evenly with topping, breaking up any large chunks.

IMG_4601.jpg

Bake until fruit is tender and top is deep golden brown, about 20 minutes.

IMG_4607

5.Reheat in 425 degree oven until slightly warm, about 5 minutes.

Serving suggestion:  Top with vanilla non-dairy ice cream and this fantastic

vegan caramel sauce

from our fellow blogger, Larice at feedingyourbeauty.com.

IMG_4613.jpg

Oh, yeah!!!

IMG_3361.jpg

This entry was posted in Desserts and tagged Comfort food, Cooking, dairy free, desserts, Food, plant-based, Vegan, vegan baking, Vegan Desserts, vegetarian by Melanie. Bookmark the permalink.

72 thoughts on “Vegan Apple Crisp

1. Mmmmm! Melanie this apple crisp looks divine! I love fruit crisp of all kinds, I was just playing around with peach crisp over the weekend, but I think apple is my favorite! So good with some melty vanilla ice cream. And the caramel sauce looks amazing on it!!! WOW! Now I need to make this crisp and more caramel sauce – I need this combination in my life! Thanks so much for trying the caramel sauce and sharing it, Melanie! 🙂

• Thank you for the inspiration. That sauce is absolutely divine. It’s officially in the permanent rotation at my house!

2. I litterly wanted to lick my screen! Ooh yes & to add apple cider to the filling,..a genius tasty idea & to top it with caramel sauce: why not, hey? Yummm!

3. Delicious! We call it crumble over here. I always have ice cream with mine, but caramel sauce is next level!!

• Thanks, LVB! Yes, crumble is interchangeable here with crisp. It’s all good! Thanks for stopping by!

4. OMG! I HAVE TO TRY THIS!! I hope you don’t mind, but I’d like to share it on my page can I?

5. I bookmarked the recipe so I can give it a try, looks fairly simple to make and so delicious!

6. Absolutely fell in love with this, thanks! May I keep this recipe for my Christmas pudding?

7. This looks so delicious!! I’ve just blogged an autumnal dessert and I think this might have to be the next one I try!

8. We don’t have ‘baking stick’ around here (Brampton, Ontario). So would coconut oil with butter flavoring work instead?

9. This looks amazing! I’ve just started trying my hand at vegan desserts and this one is definitely on my list!

10. This looks soooo good! And I love the step by step photos- makes it so easy to follow!

• Thanks for stopping by, Gaby! I think this post has had the most views and comments of all 🙂

11. This looks soo yummy!! And pretty simple too! I am always looking for new vegan recipes and this one looks delicious 😍 Cant wait to try it 😊

12. This looks so good! I’m gonna try it with a different type of nut because I’m allergic to pecans and I’ll let you know how it turns out! Also, thank you for sharing the caramel sauce recipe! I needed a good one!

13. Hey Melanie! I’ve just come across your page and this apple crisp looks delicious! How long have you been vegan? Xx

• Thanks! So good 🙂 I appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to comment!